This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. More info
When trying to meditate, sometimes it seems that the slightest noise can take you out of your concentration.
You are trying your best to focus on your meditation, but either the neighbor’s barking dog, kids playing in the next room, loud TV shows from the apartment next door, etc., can take you away from your peaceful breathing practice in no time.
To help you with this problem I’ve created a list of the best ear plugs for meditation.
Yes, ideally you want to be able to concentrate no matter what’s going on the outside world. However, when you are just starting out with your meditation practice it can be quite a challenge.
Why struggle, when you can do something practical about it?
I remember years ago when I was doing a meditation retreat, at the same time they were also giving some teachings on the top floor where I was doing my retreat.
It was really easy for the mind to want to listen to the teachings since they were really interesting, I had to use ear plugs so I could focus on my retreat. Thank you ear plugs for helping me stay focused!
Understanding Sound Terminology
First let’s start with the basic information. When buying ear plugs, you’ll see some terminology that you might not be familiar with; such as:
dB: stands for Decibels which measure the intensity of sound. A Decibel scale is use for measurements. To give you an idea on this scale the sound of normal breathing is about 10 dB and fireworks is about 145 dB. So the higher the decibel level the louder the noise is.
NRR: stands for Noise Reduction Rating. The higher this rating is, the more noise it reduces. The highest NRR for ear plugs is 34 dB.
Disposable Ear Plugs
- Cost less at the beginning.
- Don’t have to be cleaned.
- They are usually made out of foam, so when inserted it can shape to the size of your ear canal.
- Have to keep buying over and over again.
- Over the long term this can end up costing more money.
- Not good for the environment since it creates more trash.
- May get loose and need to be refitted again.
- Depending on the design, may require rolling with your fingers before inserting to your ears.
Below are some disposable ear plugs:
Mack’s Pillow Soft Earplugs
- 6 pairs per box
- Noise Reduction Rating 22db.
- Made out of moldable silicone.
Flents Quiet Time Ear Plugs (10 Pairs)
- Noise Reduction Rating 33 dB.
- 10 pairs per box.
- Comes with a case.
- The ear plugs are made of a soft foam that sits comfortably in the ear.
The Ear Buddy Premium Soft Foam Ear Plugs
- 50 pairs
- Noise Reduction Rating 32 dB
- Non-Abrasive, Highest-Quality Polyurethane Foam With Very Slow Rebound Time For Easy and Comfortable Fit Every Time!
Mpow Foam Ear plugs
- 60 pairs
- Noise Reduction Rating of 34 dB
- Hygienic and Portable. With an aluminum case to carry. It keeps earplugs clean and away from damage.
Reusable Ear Plugs
- No need to keep buying.
- Usually made out silicone which is hypoallergenic.
- Can cost more than disposable ear plugs.
- Need to be cleaned regularly.
Below are some reusable ear plugs:
High Fidelity Reusable Ear Plugs
- Reduces noise up to 24dB
- Comes with a keychain carrier
LiveMus!c HearSafe Ear Plugs
- 2 different styles of ear plugs included.
- Ergonomic and practical aluminum carrying case with cord
- The triple flange design and cone shaped tip have your comfort in mind
- Made out of silicone material.
Conclusion The Best Ear Plugs for Meditation
Before buying any ear plugs make sure to read the company’s return policy. Most ear plugs are made to fit the general public. However, in some cases, people may require a smaller or larger size.
How To Use Ear Plugs for Meditation:
-Make sure you wash your hands before inserting them in your ears (especially for the foam styles since these require rolling them with your fingers before using them).
-If they don’t seem to fit well, try to insert them from a different angle. I remember the foam style that I had years ago required rolling and inserting them in a specific direction, otherwise it would not protect against the noise.
-Keep them in an easy to reach place when you sit down to meditate. This comes in handy when you are meditating and everything seems to be kinda quiet, but all of a sudden you start to hear some noises outside in the middle of your meditation.
-For your reusable ear plugs, keep them in their container when you are not using them. This keeps them protected from dust and dirt.
-Also, If you have any small children or pets, please keep your ear plugs in a hard to reach area, since they could potentially be a chocking hazard.
How To Clean Your Reusable Ear Plugs:
Earwax naturally builds in our ears, so make sure to clean your ear plugs regularly.
Follow the specific instructions from the manufacturer where you got the ear plugs from (if there are any), otherwise you can do the following:
1. Place your ear plugs in a small bowl filled with water and mild soap.
2. Gently brush them with a tooth brush (make sure to get a new tooth brush since a used one can contain bacteria from your mouth).
3. Rinse with fresh water.
4. Gently pat them with a towel and then leave them to air dry in a clean place.
5. Place your ear plugs back in their container.
All right my friends, I hope you were able to find the perfect ear plugs for you. May you be able to meditate more peacefully now.
Your Peaceful Meditation Space Designer
If you found this post useful, you might want to save THIS PIN below to your Meditation Board to check the post later when new updates are announced.